I was at work the other day flipping through Martha Stewart’s Living magazine between clients when I found this bonkers recipe: Potato chip cookies.
Okay so this might not have been Martha’s brainchild but you know she signed off on it because she didn’t get uber rich by sitting back and letting other people run her magazines. I bet she has a big stamp that says REJECTED on one side and APPROVED on the other. Then her minions bring her recipes and she scans them for ten seconds before forcefully stamping their fate on them. At least that’s what I’d like to imagine.
(Am I the only one that didn’t know Martha was freakin’ hot back in the day? Damn, girl!)
After trying to find the exact recipe on the web I have come to realize that this is something batty housewives have been doing for years. Who knew? Not me. My mother never put anything savory into a cookie. She liked her sweets sweet. Am I the only child who grew up without these things? The boyfriend had never heard of them either and he may have cringed when I announced I was making them last night.
I’m posting the recipe, veganized of course, in case you have the desire to spend an hour in your kitchen smashing the shit out of potato chips.
Potato Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Earth Balance, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Egg replacer equal to 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups crushed potato chips
- 1 Cup of chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream Earth Balance and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg replacer. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in potato chips and pecans.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.You also have the option of rolling the dough into balls and then covering them with more crushed potato chips. I opted for that. You can also add chocolate or butterscotch chips. They might have been tastier that way.I didn’t take any photos of mine because they were hideous. Especially after the first batch. I got distracted watching Despicable Me and drinking beer and burned several batches. Neither I or the boyfriend cared too much.They should look something like this though: